Monday, July 18, 2016

Overcome Temptation

Hey!
This week was kind of crazy, but it was a good one.

Spanish Lessons with Hermana Clark:
Migración- immigration. As in, "Since I hit my year mark here in Mexico, I went to the border this week to get fingerprinted and renew my temporary residence. Yay!"
Pantalones- pants. As in, "Due to the mosquitos that come during summertime, we Sisters are going to be using pants for a couple months on days that seem very full of mosquitos. We went to buy them this week and it was very odd."
Vencer tentación- overcome temptation. As in, "In this life we all experience temptations, but if we overcome them, we will receive eternal life."

The Elders here in the ward had a baptism on Saturday, but it almost didn't happen. There were a lot of obstacles (broken plumbing in the baptismal font, members who didn't show up for their assignments, relocation to another church building), and the investigator almost decided that it wasn't the right day. But in the end, a great convert here in the ward told him about all the things that happened to her the day that she got baptized and how she overcame them, and he decided to take the plunge. It was a beautiful experience.

I'll tell you a couple stories about cool lessons we had.

We went to look for a former investigator to see if she was interested in listening to us again.
She told us that she liked listening to the Sisters before and she liked what they taught, but she hadn't gone to church and she thought that was why they stopped visiting her. We explained to her how following through with the invitations we give her will help her come to know that our message is true and find greater peace and happiness in her life. We explained that we'd love to start visiting her again, but the only way she'd be able to learn the message well is if she reads the scriptures, prays to know if what we teach is true and goes to church. She committed to really investigate again.

We're teaching a part-member family that I met back in October when I was in Del Valle. The member is a convert who my old companion, Hermana Ferrell taught. His girlfriend and her sons are investigating. It's been tought because they live together and they aren't married, so she can't get baptized unless they get married or separated, and she's waiting for a divorce to final (this happens quite a bit here). We've been teaching them for a while and we thought that they weren't going to be able to get married until next year.
Yesterday we were talking about Christ's earthly ministry and we explained how He gave us the perfect example by being baptized. That's when they told us that they talked with their lawyer this week and the divorce will be official in August or September. So she and her sons will be able to get baptized much sooner than we thought! They're excited to get ready and get baptized!

Transfer calls were last night, and it was all kind of confusing...so I'll let you know next week what happened...I'm pretty sure the area we're in is getting closed though, so the other sisters in the ward will be taking over the people we were teaching and we're going to another ward.
I'm not sure why I got sent here to Frontera for a month (just like I'm still not sure why I was in Del Valle for a month last year), but I know that this is the Lord's work and he sends us where He needs us. If we follow His guidance, we can do His work in the perfect way.
I found out today that 3 of my great investigators in Casas Grandes set a baptismal date for August, and I have a promise from the Sisters there that they'll send me a photo. It made me so happy to hear that they made the desicion to be baptized, even though I won't be there to see it.

Here's a selfie because I know I don't send enough photos.
 
 
"He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." Matthew 10:39

Keep on keeping on, and have a great week, everyone!

~Hermana Hannah Jo Clark

No comments :

Post a Comment