Sunday, May 17, 2015

Called to Serve!

Once upon a time, I was a freshman in high school and I determined that I should prepare to serve a full-time mission when the time came. I was pretty pumped about it for the next couple years, but that initial excitement was nothing to the excitement I felt when this happened:



As I heard the announcement, something in me clicked. Up to this time, I knew that I needed to serve and that the age at which I could do that would be 21, but somehow it never really fit together. I wasn't worried about that, though, because it seemed so distant.
When President Monson made this announcement, I knew it was for me. I shouted for joy and ran around my kitchen. Seriously, my parents can attest to that. I was running around my kitchen going "YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!!!!!"
From that time on, my preparation took on a new sense of urgency, and I could not wait to get out on my mission!

So fast forward to my first year at BYU. I knew I couldn't submit my mission papers until February, but I started working on them in October because I was that impatient. Eventually, February hit, and my papers went in!

This was the day that happened :)

I was so ready to know where I would be spending the next 18 months of my life. It seemed like my call would never come. After a super long 13 days...(my friends who waited 3+ weeks hate me right now) I received my mission call! 




"Dear Sister Clark:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the México Ciudad Juárez Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.
You should report to the Mexico Missionary Training Center on Wednesday July 8, 2015. You will prepare to teach the gospel in the Spanish language."

I was pretty much SUPER PUMPED! Except I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't be leaving until July. I really wanted to leave in June. Nevertheless, I accepted that this call to serve came from God through His prophets, and His timing is the best timing, no matter what I think would work out best.


I finished up my semester, and about a week after I got home, this nifty email from the MTC showed up in my inbox. They said that if I had any Spanish speaking abilities, I should call them. So I had a language proficiency interview with someone at the MTC, and he said I am ready for an advanced class! Whaaa?! So I'll only be in the MTC for 2 weeks. I'll be in classes as if I were going English speaking, except everything will be in Spanish the whole time. Yeah, apparently I learned some stuff in high school and in my Spanish 205 and 206 classes at BYU this year! Then about a week after that interview, I got a call from my stake president informing me that this change would also entail a change in my report date and MTC location. So, I will now be reporting to the Provo MTC on Wednesday, June 24th!


With that, I have to bear my testimony that the Lord is so aware of us. He knows what I need, and He knows what the people in my mission need. When I was called for July 8th, He knew that my Spanish would be sufficient to change my report date to June 24th. He knows what we need, He knows what we are capable of, and He knows what we want. He will grant us our righteous desires as we continue faithfully in His work!

I can hardly wait to begin my full-time missionary service! I know that my Savior lives! I have a testimony of His love for each of us, and I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to share that knowledge with the people of Mexico.

Have Joy!


<3 Hannah Jo

No comments :

Post a Comment